Thursday, February 25, 2010

Love Begets Love

This is the last of my Gayle Haggard thoughts.  I'm still digesting and appreciating her book.  Next I want to watch the HBO documentary done by their good friend Alexandra Pelosi.  Yes, that's Nancy's daughter.  Unlikely friends for sure.  But the power of forgiveness crosses all barriers.  Want to catch up?  First click here, then here, then here, and now read this.

Love begets love.  Much like sleep begets sleep.

That was the best advice I received when Eloise was 6 weeks old.  And anyone who knows infants and toddlers will agree.  The more a babe sleeps, the better she sleeps.  The less sleep, the more irritable and difficult it is to get to sleep.  It's counter intuitive.  But it's fact.

The same is true with love.  Just think of Pay It Forward.  A book, movie, and now a "movement" about how random acts of kindness can turn into a chain reaction of kindness that can change the world for better.

The other day I was pushing the stroller on some sidewalk that was not yet cleared.  And as I brewed with anger, "it's been two weeks people, clear your sidewalks for goodness sakes!! what pain in the rear..blah!," a nice lady helped me pick up my stroller and carry it to clean sidewalk.  I was touched by her love to me.  I was instantly put in a better mood and was extra friendly to the teller at the post office.

It reminds me of the song I sang at growing up.  I'm sure you know it:



It only takes a spark to get a fire going
And soon all those around will warm up to its glowing
That's how it is with God's love
Once you've experienced it
You spread the love to everyone
You want to pass it on.

It's true.  Love begets love.  And, we love because God first loved us.

Here's my flow chart: God loved Gayle.  So Gayle could love Ted.  And Ted heals.
Final Gayle Quotes

"Christian people are still people, so I no longer expect more of them than I do of anyone else." (page 265)

"When others criticize Ted in person, he listens respectfully to their comments.  'Scorn and derision would be total justice for me; I deserve that for what I have done,' he says.  'That's why I'm so grateful for people who show me grace.'" (page 328)

"And always remember--love covers a multitude of sins (see 1 Peter 4:8).  When I pressed toward forgiving and loving Ted, I healed.  When I judged and scrutinized him for all the pain he had caused, I only spiraled deeper into dispair.  Love never fails..." (page 336)

Amen, Gayle!

2 comments:

Molly said...

wonderful post, em. and wonderful memories of that song. tell me what you think of the pelosi film. i remember reading about it maybe 2 years ago, but every time i'm in blockbuster and think about it, it's not there. i should probably just hop on this online dvd rental thing, but i guess i'm too old school. i am getting old after all.

gwen said...

Yes, you ARE getting OLD, Molly! HeHe!
Thanks, Emily, for your thoughts & semi-review of Gayle Haggard's book, especially since it is not one I would have chosen to read before. Now, though, it's going on my list.