Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Playing in the Rain

(My Mom might kill me for what I did today.   Let's see.  Mom, would you kill me for this??  Funny how I'm 28 years old, married with 2 children and I still hear my Mom's voice.  It's never harsh.  But sometimes agitated with a Texas twain.  Like when I let my daughter play in the rain in her beautiful white Easter dress.  Don't gasp...no mud was involved.  Maybe it was wrong but oh, oh, oh so much fun!)

We played in the rain today.


While smoke billowed from my oven.  I've been cooking a lot of new recipes lately, thanks to my New Years challenge.  It's been fun and very messy.  So after turning off the fire alarm, opening the windows and door, and watching the ceiling fill with smoke, I decided the prudent thing to do would be to get these babes outside.  Even though it was raining.

So out we went.

In circles we ran.




And I'm thinking, this is the best idea I've had all day!  Eloise is not whining.  Cordelia is laughing.  The fresh air and activity are invigorating and we're not dying from smoke inhalation.

At least playing in the rain was a better idea than trying to cook my stuffed chicken in our oven.  Your oven would probable work great, but our oven is a little funny.  I followed the recipe exactly.  I promise!


So we played and we bonded.  And I think in the end, my Mom would have had fun with us.  She would have at least been laughing at us through the window.

It's good to remember, though, that our Mom's voice will always be with us.  I'm thankful my Mom's voice is sweet with a Texas twain.

And Eloise loves that dress.  Every night before bed she says "happy Easter."  (I'm not hyperbolizing.  It's true.)  Each morning she puts on her Easter dress.  (Well not every morning.  Every 3rd morning after it's been washed.)

5 comments:

Paul, Lauren, Witt, and Nash said...

Emily, I loved this post, just very sweet and funny. What did you do for dinner?
To answer your question about what's happening...Paul leaves in 32 days (but who's counting?! ;)) to begin 3 MONTHS of training to become a Navy Chaplain. We are so excited but also feel nervous about all of the unknowns and of course the separation. We should know where we will be for the first assignment in a few weeks. The boys and I will stay put until he finishes up and my mom will be helping me out while he's gone. This will be such a huge life change but we are absolutely confident this is where the Lord has called us...and so we go! Thank you so much for praying for us. We are grateful! You are so sweet.

Blessings,

Lauren

catherine said...

sounds like fun....my kids love to play in the rain even if it is cold and i still let them do it and take the chance of getting a cold because they have so much fun and i love watching them. playing in the rain was my favorite and i do it with them when i can.

Millie Wamsted said...

Eloise's feet look exactly like yours (but smaller)! That is so crazy!!
I loved playing in the rain as a kid. Kira already likes the rain, but just wait until she can run and twirl!

gwen said...

mmm.... I might have killed you if you had done it! But, then, I can't imagine you wanting to wear your Easter/Sunday clothes any time but Sunday. You would much rather have been in your cut-offs or parachute shorts! No Fancy Nancys at our house! (Maybe the difference is having older brothers to keep up with?) Wish I could find that picture of you and Jaquelyn caked in mud from head to toe! That would be perfect here.
Thanks for thinking my voice wasn't harsh - especially since you still hear it!

Molly said...

i love to play in the rain! maybe eloise and i can play together in a colorado afternoon storm? and i agree with mom, we would've been in parachute shorts and a t-shirt. there's something about rain that brings me peace, like God's showering me with his love.